Saturday, October 24, 2009

Will I become party to evasion of stamp duty?

Question asked by Anonymous:

Hi I have a question to ask. I bought a house from Builder in Hyderabad in August 2006. The agreement of sale was for 33 lakhs. The registry was done at a lower cost 18 lakhs in august 2006 itself. The flat was under construction that time. I also took a loan of 27 lakhs from the bank for it. Now I am selling the house for 62 lakhs. The buyer is taking over my loan. The bank will give me a difference between loan amount sanctioned and selling price i.e. 30 lacs (Cheque) and the buyer will give me 5 lacs. So in total I am getting 35 lakhs in my account. Now the questions are:

1. The Buyer wants to get the registry of the flat done at 25 lacs. How is that possible as he is giving everything in white? How will I explain to income tax authorities as to where this 35 lac came from when I sold the house for 25 lacs (as per the registry) and where did I get the money (27 lacs) for prepayment of loan. Will I become party to evasion of stamp duty in this case? (There are two agreements, one is agreement of sale which shows the correct price on which the bank finances and the other is the sale deed which shows the amount in the registry and is registered)

2. What documents do IT authorities refer when calculating Capital Gains?

3. The builder is the agent through which I am reselling the flat. And I am paying him a commission of 100/- sq. ft. Now, I got to know that he is fooling the new customer by collecting service tax and VAT from him which is not applicable on Resale Flat. And he will keep that amount with him. Now the question is if the new customer some day knows that Service Tax and VAT was collected from him and is not applicable then can I be in trouble as the builder is just the agent, I am the Seller of the flat? What should I do?

Thanks in advance

Vatsala’s Answer has been moved to our new site

http://www.atoneplace.com

http://www.atoneplace.tv

http://www.legalcorner.atoneplace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment