Sunday, November 8, 2009

Of Calls and Annoying Jacks...

Just bought myself a new phone a few days back, a Samsung Star S5233S model to be precise, and I must say, not blowing my own horn or anything, that it is indeed an excellent device. Can’t still keep my hands away from it, am still discovering new ways to tinker and play with it. “Msging” is a breeze, voice quality is amazing and watching videos on the 16:9 crisp screen is excellent. Let me remind you guys here, this thing ain’t the i-pod video, or the i-phone for that matter, so don’t go expecting miracles in the media playback department, but this thing sure kicks some good freaking ass on its own!! Given that you know your way around the video-encoding neighborhood, and you have some free time, you’re gonna have hell lot of good quality stuff to make that quick break at office and the BIG BUNK between college and home a little more interesting. If you don’t, fear not, I’ll post some how-to stuff a bit later. My only crib here would be the insanely useless pair of headphones that the phone ships with. What were they thinking?? Unless a humongous chunk of their clientele are Giants and Trolls, I think they’d be hard-pressed to find actual living human beings who can fit those HUGE ( and I mean HUGE in the Biblical sense) earplugs into their ear-holes. And let’s not get started about that miseable, miserable feeling you get when you follow the head-phone wire to the bitter end and find out that the connector is not the ordinary, common man jack, it’s a proprietary funny looking connector which seems to laugh and mock at you over some cosmic joke you just missed every time you look at it!! Don’t know about you, but I always have this gut-feeling that the punchline somehow involves us… Anyways, long story short, all you gotta do is find an adapter, or easier still, another pair of headphones with the same connector, but the kind which has another connector in between for the regular 3.5 mm jacks. Those things are God’s gifts for audiophiles everywhere!! For those who have the Star, or any other similar phone of Samsung make and model, you don’t have to look further than the Samsung Corby, the headphones that ship with the model have 3.5 mm adapters, so you can trash the buds that came with it and connect your own into it. That being said, I still believe myself when I say that the Star is still an excellent phone, and wrap this up, because I’m running out of adjectives to describe it. Anyhow, watch this space for an in-depth user review, and DYI (Do-It-Yourself, for those who came in late) stuff to keep you interested (Haven’t actually enjoyed any music playback on the thing because of the ear-plug problem you see, and since I consider myself a audiophile snob and also because I paid an obscene amount of cold, hard cash for a pair of Creative noise isolators,  I’d rather wait for my Corby pair).

Note: For True believers of Nokia (I was one before I jumped ship and converted), things are sunnier for you. I believe the newer X-press music models have normal jacks, so you don’t have to worry when you buy one. And if it doesn’t, you still have an easy way out (Well, cheaper, if not easier). Look around your grey electronics market for cheap chinese made adapters, jacks that have 3.5 mm connectors. In Delhi, a good one will set you back by 30-pathetic bucks or so at the Palika Market. Look out for cheaters and posers who’ll tell  you that they only sell Nokia geniune stuff, and want a fat lot for the thing. Well, Nokia didn’t have the forethought to make nifty little trinkets like that, so take your business elsewhere!! Look around, check every shop that stocks the connector, try it out on your phone, see if it fits perfectly or if it’s loose, check the quality out, bargain a bit, haggle the price and see if you can get it cheaper than i did. Happy shopping!!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment